Friday, December 16, 2011

Rawr: Cross Platform Screen Sharing Software (A Linux Love Rant)


So.... Heres the deal

I'm going to do some website work for a nonprofit organization
And I'm using linux because I like to be an elite computer user

Unfortunately, over the course of using linux, I have learned many times over that being an elite computer user does NOT coincide with having a highly functional computer


Here are a few issues with Ubuntu (and a lot of love for the idea)
1) I have to use the terminal to install many software
-And as was the case with MBDtools, sometimes I have to install many different packages only to find out it still doesn't work
2) Wine is supposed to be a "Compatability Layer" but my experiences have led me to understand its just a Emulator when it comes to fullscreen applications amoung other things
-I am forced to emulate desktop when playing a fullscreen game
-I cannot alt tab out of a fullscreen game
-It captures my mouse so I can't use it outside the game when I put it on a "seperate Desktop"
-It bugs out on certian parts
3) All the software that I would like to use requires windows. And wine apparently doesn't cut it at times
4) My computer doesn't like ubuntu so much. I have two, one with a broken screen and then my primary which is a MSI CR-500. I've had multiple issues like;
-being able to have mouse controls (turning off the touchpad while typing is very important to me since I tend to be a blind frivelous typer and my palm hits the touchpad often.)
-controlling my screen requires me to use Nvidea software which isn't nearly as neat and clean as the ubuntu interface
-Installing my webcam wasn't as simple as I would have liked
-I had to use nomodeset in order to avoid some UI conflicts with my computer which caused me to not even being able to install it at first :(

Basically Long and short of it
I don't plan on leaving ubuntu even if it has been a tough road.
But due to the need of windows and wine inconsistencies I may have to use other peoples computers, dual boot or run a virtual box

And having anything windows related except executables does not make me feel good what so ever


but the annoying thing that makes me want to blog about this is......
Screen Sharing Software

For most people, they don't really have to care too much about it.
But for me, it is a necessity to talking to clients

As such I am forced in a situation where either I want something done or I'm too pompuse to use windows. And I assure you, my pride is definitly getting in the way

Nonetheless, the software that is made usually runs on windows and mac. Which from what I understand doesn't require activeX or many windows necessities making a port to linux not too far away

Another part is the Java Software like Glance.
Now, java by nature is completely crossplatform compatable. The reaosn for this is because they metaphorically run their own OS within your computer that allows you to run the software.
However, once people start using certian packages and the such, thats when things get ugly
And puts a great platform to shame as "just another programming Language"


I love Java, I love Ubuntu
I would like this to be less of a hassle though T__T

No comments:

Post a Comment