Friday, January 14, 2011

Good vs Bad Website: An Opinion

I've made a reasonable amount of websites as of late and most of them I don't like

Issues
1) Scrolling - I know its "common" But Scrolling is so frustrating to me when designing a website. i like my websites Packaged tight so that the viewer only has to look at a small peice

2) Design - Ugly, Simple, Generic. Google has set a standard for Clean cut Websites By literally making a very simple site themselves. Even though this is "good" I personally have distaste for Simplicity. Where is the love? Where is the Molten Steel Flowing into a Forge?
http://www.trinityforge.com/?referrer=adwords&gclid=CLWxjOnPuqYCFU1-5Qod1kxHHA
Literally just looked up this website, and I am quite fond of it (except the load time of the background picture)
Its got that Burn, got that old timey feel
Thats what I'm talking about. Epic

3) Coding - Literally my boss was telling me to put in an Iframe, to make things quickly. I'm an Artist at heart and love to intergrate different technologies. When I get home at the end of the day, I play games and watch HDstarcraft or Husky to relax and compensate for my lonliness. Its pretty frustrating hearing "Just get it done" rather than "do it right"

4) Load Times - Except for the Websites that I've kicked out (I tend to edit other peoples) the load times have been horrendous, like 15 seconds.... and its not Ajax-afied (or even at least Flash-afied) where theres a loading screen to make things easier on the eyes. But its just straight up "Wait for server"

5) Frameworks - I don't know about other coders, But I tend to shy away from working with other peoples Half-headed code.

6) Big Blocks of Text - Lightbox it, don't just Push it on people.

7) Ajax Enabled - I love ajax, I think its a great technology. I love the idea of people not being able to press the back button a bunch of times just to go to the last page. That being said, there needs to be a Back button within the page to make up for the loss of functionality. However, I am a believer in ajax as well as direct links! And it is possible, with certian websites its more important (forums) than others.

My ideal Website
-Design is about the Product-Chocolate brings Sexy, Fun, cute, farmy, delicious
-have an initial Loading Screen (even if there isn't much to load
 -Language choices at least to show on the intitial loading screen
-Minimalized, Simple, Clean and Powerful-I don't mean nonexsistent, however I do mean minimal amount of Anything on a single page. However Easy to access everything from there.
  -If theres going to be a "Featured" Section, Make sure that it literally is going to be in the same place as everything else. I love the idea of a "no scrolling" website. There may be some, however its more associated to large texts rather than Forcing a person on it.
-Ajax-No page Loads, once a person is on a website, they will stay there until they press back or exit out.

I'm working out a framework now that has a lot of these features.
-One of the things I plan on having is A page will load standard PHP, but then switch to ajax once the page has been given some time.

Psuedo Code

PHP Site

Ajax Load
-Changes all links for internal navigation to Ajax by setAttribute('href') and setAttribute('onclick')
Its more effecient in my opinion and will give users a more relaxed and emersed experience

No comments:

Post a Comment